This is the first set of exercises (from Research, but overlapping with Body of Work) to revisit significant projects, identify a theme of significance, and to begin mapping out a research proposal and workplan. I have done a number of these exercises before arriving at these concept maps, I will see which of them I will add to the blog in what form).
These are a mix between concept and mind map. each takes about an hour and i develop these over a few days. i map my previous projects into these. contact and touch overlap in small sections the issue of communication and technology is new to arise and good to see where it fits (Kittler but also of course the spacetimes of Le Guin).
there is an issue of wanting to move between concept and methodology: to create a hybrid form similar to what i started with parallel praxis, but this seems daring, uncharted, difficult as it again sits right to the edge of subject matter, discipline, definition
- touch poems
- Abramovic (and perhaps other things from my Techniques lecture)
- Juliana Spahr’s this connection of everyone with lungs
Drawing as contact zone as overall theme for body of work?
>> do some more maps; including spacetime but also perhaps to get a bit more concrete? i.e.: the three themes from earlier:
Body in movement (my body as drawing tool) >> which was starting theme for D2
- done 29/12: it becomes a model more like and some movement is part of the mapping:
- audience sits separate
- body as tool becomes fool as body
- this is more limited to the ones before but also more generative: it is open enough to make connections and point forward:
- a moving body of work
- mainly missing: site >> I added this to concept map: Spatial praxis
- there are a series of modalities of works beginning to appear:
- when is the tool the drawing?
- what role does the shadow play?
- to add:
- writing as contact?
- flirt as contact // erotic charge
Interdisciplinarity in Drawing practice >> the wider theme for the CR >> map the CR onto a sheet of paper
- what else has been added/ remained/ left in terms of interest?
- does the focus on interdisciplinarity still hold interest to pursue further? the extended field? what touches and is in contact with whom and what else?
- what would be a lack/ absence of contact? a gap?
Production of space, the idea of reaching, touching a utopian spacetime aside the corridor
i am mapping the corridor and all else. strangely, i can locate an exact spot where i fantasise about it simply opening out to one of Le Guin’s worlds. i will need to test it.this is the fourth map (after touch, contact, and body as movement) — i want to do two more, then i think i can write what it will bei also realise in which types of constructions the photographers i care about cluster; the writers (of sci-fi, new narrative and steamy surrealism); and then the performance/installation work. i hadn’t thought of Office at Night having an open and House (Stories) having a closed door, but it is a very fitting image, and so is the line which is in fact two, one more rigid, the other one increasingly porous; the gap and the greens sit on different planes: the former folds up and allows us to crawl into the dark space between the cabinets, the greens are a quick release lever being pulled and we rattle (unharmed) to ground level
Also: what about the confessional/ obsession… do you want to explore it a bit further at this time?