I disentangle an earlier ambitious submission timeline and thus find myself still ‘resolving’. The task is not to resolve a body of work portfolio for an (exhibition) audience, that isn’t it. Rather: I am seeking a resolution in which both BoW and Research move forward as equal components.
In principle, this is already spelled out in the notion of a methodological toolkit as the core of the engagement plan as per SYP 1. In practice, this toolkit requires further refinement, notably as to where the engagement in it sits (in residency applications, in a postal limited edition, an expanded digital platform or, or, or?).
As for the actual body of work, the resolution is far more simple. I have noted it at various points and will revisit here:
Adding Research to BoW padlet to allow for more context
2 June (at the end of BoW 5 report):
We discuss at some length how parts of the reflective writing (either on the blog or from the dissertation) can come to the For Cover padlet to allow for deepening that narrative and contextual/conceptual understanding. I mention the various routes through different material enquiries that I discuss in the findings chapter which could work here and could then also link to the dissertation itself, and thus also letting the BoW link to Research (and not just Research to BoW).Tutor report 5, Body of Work
AP: to set this up on the For Cover padlet accordingly.
Revising selected elements of For Cover
8 August (when preparing for assessment)
- re-record the audio for Walnut Tree of Touch (a Potential Blanket)
- a black screen as visual resolution for its audio file
- rephotograph slides for Am Walde?
More generally, I was asking:
- How is the site archived?
- How does audio relate to the archive?
As far as reworking/resolving existing objects are concerned, these are very limited in what I identified as needing doing.
The set of questions of how these can fold forward towards and engagement format (with the work that is For Cover + Research), these were becoming more ambitious:
The engagement plan for SYP as per end of BoW Module (15 May):
As engagement plan at this moment I put the following forward:
- site-specificity and on-site installation/process
- digital platform and portfolio
- edition of DIY assemblage for distribution
- publication (academic, artistic)
(see the actual post here, it has a whole range of further considerations as to what, where and when is the site: https://close-open.net/2021/05/21/stromverteilen-engagement-plan-for-syp/)
And then in the SYP 1 Project Plan (15 July):
To present a mobile and versatile PaR, combining the various practices (such as drawing, writing, lens-based and performance work) into elements that can test the methodology of For Cover in different sites and contexts:
- it will include a digital platform/space to act as an open container that can grow alongside the practice;
- it will also include a material, analogue, element, such as a small edition set of different self-assemble elements to engage with For Cover across a distributed space and as private performance (i.e. a loosely understood artist book in a box or similar);
- thirdly I will test the viability to revisit the actual site for a public performance/event in autumn.
As practical reworking of elements of For Cover, I will
- not rephotograph Am Walde for the digital a/v presentation: they are good quality digital images and work well as they are in the slides;
- will add a blank screen to an a/v of the existing audio of Walnut Tree of Touch (a Potential Blanket), and NOT rerecord the audio: there was a concern over its speed but I find it fitting;
- I will investigate further if the existing padlet is in fact a suitable digital platform (in conjunction with the Research portfolio of Stromverteilen):
- longevity and control over format changes as per platform developer and institutional access
- precarity of presented material due to lack of control of platform
- if both preceding points are not in fact fitting for digital distance as form of engagement
- explore Adobe Portfolio as alternative site (and clarify what it needs to allow for, include in contrast to a professional website in which For Cover sits as one project of many)
<< this work will present the Resolution of Body of Work as per coursebook (i.e. SYP 2)
Further resolution (and why SYP 2 is a more complex body of work):
I wish to consider any concern over various interactive elements such as a limited postal edition or instructive work to be sent out to be returned as part of the Engagement or even Practice as Research, rather than resolution of previous wok.
I also have continued a range of enquiries into contextual distance as well as archiving over the summer and these present research objects or perhaps engagement objects. They will inform my engagement practice and the toolkit.
There is also a range of objects that resulted from the Research module, such as the drawing machines as well as two Cover images produced by the large format analogue pinhole camera, which are effectively part of the wider body of work and will filter forward into SYP (I will write a separate post about these).